CUPCAKE TESTERS WANTED!!!

"I'm on a diet. I only eat cupcakes on days that ends in a Y."


Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Snickerdoodle - Week 9

The flavor of the week is....
SNICKERDOODLE!!! I love all things snickerdoodle.  What I like the most about this cookie is the texture, but I am unsure how to translate that into a cupcake.  My sister-in-law, Paula, introduced me to The Farm Girl, and her recipe inspired me to give these a try.  On her blog I discovered chocolate snickerdoodle cookies.  It seems perfect. The following is my copy-cat version of  The Farm Girl's cupcakes/cookies.  I'm still drooling thinking about chocolate in my snickerdoodle.  The cupcake itself does not reflect the texture of a snickerdoodle, but that's why there is the cookie on top!!!

 Snickerdoodle Cake- adapted from The Farm Girl


3 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 sticks butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
Cinnamon sugar: 
1 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sift together dry ingredients (except for cinnamon sugar).  In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 -3 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.  Add vanilla.  Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk beginning and ending with flour.  Fill cupcake pans 2/3 full.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes and remove. Let cool completely before frosting.

Cinnamon Frosting - adapted from The Farm Girl
(I could get used to cinnamon in my frosting!)

1/2c butter, softened
1/2c shortening
1 tsp vanilla
4 c powdered sugar
2-4 tablespoons half-n-half
1 tsp cinnamon

Cream butter and shortening in mixer until smooth. Mix in vanilla and powdered sugar  Add half-n-half until the frosting is the consistency you would like for decorating. Add cinnamon and mix until combined. 

Frost cupcakes and top with 1/2 of a chocolate snickerdoodle.


Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies - The Farm Girl
1/2 c. butter flavored shortening (it's totally worth it)
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. cocoa
2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
sugar, for rolling

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cream shortening, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.  Add vanilla and beat again.  

2.  In a medium bowl combine cocoa, flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together.  Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and stir until completely incorporated.  Place extra sugar in a small bowl.  Roll mixture into small balls and roll in sugar.  Place about 2" apart on greased cookie sheets.  Bake for 8 minutes.  Remove, let sit for 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack.

2 comments:

  1. I want to live closer to Findlay!!! You're making me drool, and yes, snickerdoodles are by far the best ever. My children actually will turn down chocolate chip, but beg for snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra - You should give the chocolate snickerdoodle cookies a try!!! They are a quick make! My boys love them!!! If we lived closer we could be our own version of Mennonite Girls Can Cook!(If you haven't seen that cookbook/blog it's worth a look.)

    ReplyDelete